Party Review - DJ Funk, Spitzer, Crookers @ Webster Hall



This party was off the fucking chains. New York city was not prepared for the likes of these European monster DJs. The line up features Spitzer, DJ Funk (not European), Danger, and The Crookers. Lets have a quick look at the talent.

Danger is part of a distinct new bread of masked DJ who plays the dirtiest electro imaginable. His identity remains as mysterious as the lyrics to his massive electro bomb 11h30 which I have blogged about, raved to, and would have married but my proposal went completely unacknowledged. Unfortunately, partly due to ambiguous billing on the flyer, I missed Danger's set, and believe me, I'm still pissed about this. How they could they bill DJ Funk or even Spitzer above Danger is beyond me. How can anyone follow a Danger set. I'm sure his set was filthy, but it probably wasn't that fun since I was there freaking out and sweating on anyone.

Danger - 11h30

Next up was DJ Funk, who I had the pleasure of dancing for. DJ Funk dominates the genre of booty-house like no other, especially since he is the only DJ really pushing that genre. His entire set was at around 135bpms and it all had the same booty kick. I'm proud of funk as he seemed to be using a Mac/Midi controller combo but still using the house mixer to equalize. He definitely has jog wheels too because he made a few really laughable cuts and scratches. His music all sounds about the same to me, but Funk classics like Ass n' Titties, Booty Dance, and Peculator, never cease to make me grin in amazement. While not the best, or even good for that matter, DJ funk has loads of charisma and he's one hell of a mic controller.

DJ Funk - Peculator (zshare link)

The Spitzers brothers hit the stage and set up a Novation SL as Funk ended his set with a rape remix of Daft Punk's One More Time, and confused the fuck out of me. Spitzer was billed below Danger, so when the Spitzer brothers, who look nothing alike, hit the stage I was convinced Danger was treating New York to a special unmasked performance with his buddy that would fuck around with a Kaoss Pad or something. Spitzer had the same kind of eerie, synth-driven, mystery vibe that Danger does which only added to my confusion. As the set wore on, I gave up on trying to understand these crazy Europeans and just enjoy the music. The Spitzer brothers got me in the right kind of mood, and by towards the end of their set shit went totally bananas. I'm going to scour the interweb this week and hopefully post a Spitzer Live Set.
Party Review - DJ Funk, Spitzer, Crookers @ Webster Hall

Kylie Minogue - In My Arms (Spitzer Remix)

There was no uncertainty about what happened next. Some hype dude hopped up on stage and introduced us to the Crookers. The Crookers pounded out straight up party music. No pretentious progressive, minimal, nonsense, just fatty bass. Their sound originated in their native country Italy, bloggers are calling it Italo-Disco, I'm calling it Freaknasty-Fiesta. They dropped bomb, after bomb, after bomb. It got so bad in there that half way through their set Webster Hall had been hit by more precision bombs than Fallujah.I've been playing one of said bombs on the regular, when the beat drops after the totaly-worth-the-ridiculous-wait-breakdown even a dancefloor packed with paraplegics would loose their shit. Here are two of Crookers said bombs and a Duke Dumont killer that slice n' dices all kinds of dance-floor 'tang.

Crookers - Love To Edit

Busy P - To Protect and Entertain (Crookers Remix) (zshare link)

Duke Dumont - Hoy
(zshare link)

Tommorow we'll discuss Moby's DJ set at Santos' Party House.

3 comments:

  1. i didn't take the time to read this whole post it being 330 in the morning and all but i heard from my boys who were at that show that danger didnt go on until like 4:30 in the morning, so he definitely closed it. btw, i hope you get email alerts on this shit so you appreciate the time i spend commenting on this stuff (just saw the bit about being able to use formatting tags...BALLA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuck me.... we left just after 4 because, they weren't going to let us in after smoking....

    Mikey texted at like 5 am saying how unbelievable that show was.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You fucking idiot, Ass n Titties is by DJ Assault and Perculator is by Green Velvet!

    ReplyDelete