Party Review - Moby (DJ Set) @ Santos'


Couple weeks ago my brohim MP told me he had already hooked me up with a ticket to see Moby do a rare DJ set. Now I fucking love it when Moby does DJ sets; It is hard for me to say this but I think Moby's set at Miami's Ultra Festival was far superior to Carl Cox's 10 Year Classics Set, at least judging by their back to back Essential Mix. So I basically knew what to expect from Moby.

Allow me to backtrack for a moment. The venue Moby was set to destroy, Santo's Party House, is located on the Lower East Side. Santos' Party House, formerly Santas' Party House, is a converted museum/art venue turned discotheque with resident DJ The Juan Maclean (DFA). This whole shebang is made possible by likes of the DFA crew and venue owner Andrew WK. Thats right Andrew WK. It wasn't easy for me to wrap my head around this whole debacle, but atleast the real electro kids don't have to trek out to Studio B for a proper set.

I imagine at some point we may get to see James Murphy (DFA) of LCD Soundsystem play an equally rare DJ set. You may have noticed me name dropping DFA a few times in this post. DFA (Death From Above) is this production team / record label run by Juan Maclean and James Murphy. Andrew WK, Juan Maclean, James Murphy, and Moby... what a killer team.

Santos' was on point. Flanked by two bars, the dance-floor dominated the whole space. The sound system at was not fucking around either. The entire room was wrapped in speakers, in addition to the speaker stacks already in place on either side of the main stage. The dance-floor was quite spacious and the room never felt over crowded nor crowded with douche nozzles, with one or two exceptions as always. All in all I give Santos' party house a solid 9/10. The one point off because a very inconvenient entry route. They make one enter a hallway, then go downstairs to a basement party room, where the music is so tight one could easily mistake the basement DJ for the headliner, then walk around a corner and back upstairs for the real party. But maybe this is a good thing and the venue deserves an 11/10...

After listening to a few of Moby's DJ sets I was prepared for a great show but did not expect the bone-rattling experience I got. Anyway, I had arrived at the venue a little late so missed Moby's opening tracks, but when I finally entered the room Moby had already dug in. He played hard, fist tight, jaw clenched, electro type shit. He worked though crunchy track after crunchy track and pwned the us all. Highlights of the set for were rare remixes of Basement Jaxx's Where's Your Head At and a white label mix of Moby's Go. All in all it was a incendiary electro experience with little bullshit in between hands-in-the-air euphoria. The one thing that threw me off was that Moby seemed to play the same track twice but upon further investigation it was my mistake. It was two different tracks by the same producers who apparently love to use the same hook in two seemingly unrelated productions... you be the judge.

Moby - Disco Lies (Spencer and Hill Remix)

R.I.O - De Janeiro (S & H Project Remix)
(I actually purchased this track and couldn't find it on the hypem so this is a youtube link)

There were also a couple things I were delighted to see. Moby has finally switched from Turntables to CDJs. Rock on Moby, you don't need that added weight/stress of carrying around your record crates. Also, the mustache looks phenomenal, you don't even look like a child molester or state trooper or anything.

The Juan Maclean - Give Me Every Little Thing

Andrew WK - Mclaughlin's Groove

Miles Dyson - Anthem

No comments:

Post a Comment