Space Woman


I'm not usually so long winded on this blog thing, but today's post requires a bit of background...

Last week I posted the PUZIQUe remix of I-Robots - Spacer Frau. Wikipedia tells me that "Spacer Frau" is a German language cover of the song "Spacer Woman" by the iconic Italo-Disco group Charlie. I didn't previously realize this correlation, though I should have, since I have been a huge fan of both songs for quite a long time.
Infact, I've been obsessed with all things Italo Disco since I first discovered Spacer Woman back in '83. But only recently has my Space Disco Obsession (SDO) become so super-serious that I set my RSS feed to show me everything that happens on the internets involving "space disco", "cosmic disco", "space woman" and "cosmic disco space woman." My SDO condition even compelled me to re-name the canary my neighbor asked me to pet-sit, Disco Charlie. To be fair, I'm not sure what his real name is... so I suppose there is a slight chance that I'm actually calling him by his real name... Anyway, as a result of all this SDO-RSSing, as well as that car commercial with Cat Power, I came across Emilie Simon.

Emilie Simon is a prominent French songstress whose cover of a David Bowie's classic gave me some SERIOUS goose-bumps. I spent the better part of an hour listening to her myspace music player and I can confidently say that she has some blinding original material to boot. Her Bowie cover is obviously the stand-out but when covering a work of such staggering genius it is difficult not only to pull it off convincingly, but to do it so that your other work wont suffer in comparison. Coincidentally, I also discovered this today, and it turns out Emilie Simon is perfect candidate.

Emilie Simon - Space Oddity (David Bowie Cover)

ps. I just found out from my neighbor that Charlie is a marvelous songbird who will sing along to classical music. I will upload a video of Charlie performing Bach tomorrow.

pps. I've also discovered how to podcast recently. Be on the look out for a CouchFire Space Disco podcast soonish. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment